End particles are one of Neramese’s peculiarities. They always come at the end of a clause, and convey specific pieces of information. They are portmanteau morphemes. For a phrase to be valid, it must contain a verb and an end particle. Otherwise, it is an interjection, a vocative, or something similar.
There are 10 simple end particles in Nerám. C represents a consonant that is replaced with a number/person marker.
- CaC - objective non-factive
- CuìC - factive (I saw/heard that...)
- CeC - subjective (expresses belief, doubt with negation)
- soC, śoC - imperative
- CìC? - binary question
- lhaC? - what (subject argument)
- Calh? - what (object argument)
- haiC? - who? (subject argument)
- Caih - who? (object argument)
- piCuC? - when?, if (hypothetical)
- zeCuC? - where?
- śaCuC? - why?
- śaCaC? - because
- laCuC? - how?
- CiCiz - completive 'that' particle
- CiCemh - completive 'if' particle (of in Dutch, jestli in Czech)
- CiCom - relative particle
3 of them are base end particles whereas 7 of them are question particles.
How does C work?
C is replaced with information regarding the nominative and accusative arguments. For motion verbs with non-accusative y arguments, they are treated like verbs without a second argument.
- Completives are treated like 3rd person singular (I think that X = X ...iz pradun na)
Morphological information :
1st person singular : 'n'
2nd person singular : 's'
3rd person singular : 't' for nominative or atmospheric arguments and Null for accusative arguments (or 't' in 2nd argument of recursive and relative particles)
1st person plural : 'm'
2nd person plural : 'ś'
3rd person plural : 'tl'
Anaphoric second argument : '-r'
The nominative argument (x) is the first C. The accusative argument (y) is the second C.
- Passive constructions are built as though there was only an accusative argument.
- Atmospheric verbs take a glottal stop like 3rd person singular nominative
- The copula does not take a second argument.
EXAMPLES :
I eat you : mhã nas.
I eat : mhã na.
It rains : tl'a ta
He sees her : he ta
He sees you : he tas
You see him : hes sa
They see themselves : hetl tlar
He sees himself : he tar
The school sees the woman : he imhadras ibhera ta
The school sees the women : he imhadras ibhera tatl
The schools see the woman : hetl imhadras ibhera tla
The schools see the women : hetl imhadras ibhera tlatl
The women see themselves : hetl ibhera tlar
The woman is seen : he ibhera a
Versus
The woman sees : he ibhera ta
I am seen : he an.
I see : hen na
I am a woman : is (en) bera na
The woman is me : "is ibhera en 'a" and not "*is ibhera (en) 'an" (second arguments are not permitted)
I am Armand and this is my story : is n-Armã na be is ço içruì men ta
The woman ate (and I saw it) or I saw the woman eat : mhu ibhera tuì
The woman ate : Mhu ibhera ta
I think the woman ate : Mhu ibhera te
Eat! : Mhas so!
Did the woman eat? : Mhu ibhera tì?
What did the woman eat? : Mhu ibhera talh?
What ate the woman? : Mhu ibhera lha?
Who did the woman eat? : Mhu ibhera taih?
Who ate the woman? : Mhu ibhera hai?
When did the woman eat me? : Mhu ibhera pitun?
When did I eat the woman? : Mhun ibhera pinu?
No comments:
Post a Comment